Become a Mystery Shopper
What is a Mystery Shopper???
- A Mystery Shopper is an anonymous shopper who evaluates businesses and then shares their experience in order to improve customer service. Anybody can be a Mystery Shopper - eg. a full time stay at home mum or dad, a senior citizen, working folk with some flexible time, an adult student (18yo and over) etc.
- The only criteria: - You have to be reliable, honest, hard working with good observation skills and be prepared to provide high quality and accurate information. We are relying on you to meet our customer deadlines with good reliable feedback.
- Additionally you need transport and a reliable computer or laptop with internet access, alternatively you need to be able to use a friends or a Library machine etc.
- Small mobile devices such as Phones and Tablets are not suitable for data entry.
What will you have to do?
Some of your tasks could include:
- Evaluating a store and product displays to see if they are kept clean and in order
- Asking store staff for information about a general product or service
- Making a purchase (typically you are reimbursed for purchases unless they form part of your payment)
- Checking prices of goods on sale
- Other specific tasks such as inquiring about a loan, selling a personal item (phone, jewellery)
- After completion you log back onto our secure web sites and enter your findings online, most are multi-choice answers but some typing is required. At the end the system produces your invoice to us for the work.
- Payments, assignments are generally paid 20th month following the work, one single payment for all surveys relating to each client’s surveys.
How much do I earn?
You are paid per Mystery Shop assignment, with the actual amount dependent on the type of assignment. Most assignments begin at around $20.00 per shop but may be higher where the work is more detailed and so takes longer. You may get further benefits depending on the nature of the assignment for example: Free meals, free drinks, free accommodation or free product. Each project is case be case.
What is an assignment?
- We circulate available assignments to shoppers by area, it’s up to you if you accept. Usually we do this via texts to your mobile so advise us if your number changes.
- Following your acceptance of an assignment we email you access codes to a secure web site, and a link to the Shoppers Guide which contains full details of the assignment.
- It is very important that - when you receive these details that you study the Shoppers Guide and the 20–50 survey questions before you begin. You must be prepared when you enter the establishment. If you fail to study your instructions and survey, you may miss critical information that you are being paid to obtain. If this happens, you may not be paid - or you may be asked go back to the location and double the time you have already spent there.
- Store visits can generally be done any time in business hours to suit you, many shoppers carry out surveys while on other family business so avoiding special journeys.
- Take along a notepad and leave it in your car. This may be handy when you have completed your assignment.
- Remember: If we give you specific details, these need to be followed at all times. Shopping assignments are very easy to complete. Basically they are just like going shopping!
Will I get an assignment straight away if I sign up and where will these be?
- The assignments will be in your home town or the area you are willing to travel in.
- We can’t guarantee when you will receive an assignment - it depends on the location you live in and if we have assignments available at that time.
- Registered shoppers are contacted via text when we have work available in your area.
- In larger centres we often survey all branches of chain stores. Shoppers sometimes select several branches and survey these in one single journey, this is easy as each is paid separately and they are familiar with the task and the stores.
Shopper payments are regarded the same as any other income you earn so it is taxable. Legally shoppers are independent contractors, not employees. Shoppers who are GST registered can provide their GST Number (this is done later when work is allocated via the surveys web site profile), and the system will then automatically add GST to registered shoppers invoices to us for the work.
What do you need to do next to become a Mystery Shopper?
2 - The next step is to fill out the Mystery Shopper Employment Application Form. You will be emailed a confirmation by our system upon completion.
3 - And then just wait until we contact you with an assignment. In North Island main and provincial centres we are often seeking additional shoppers so this may be quite soon.
Agreeing to these terms will display the Mystery Shopper application form.